Successful poker is based, among other things, on tangible empirical values, which, however, require a certain “lesson”. This post should make it easier for beginners to successfully enter the world of poker and optimize the skills of experienced players. First of all, here are a few basic tips that you should definitely keep in mind while playing poker or online hold’em (온라인홀덤) on sites like Holdem Pubs.
The relevance of the seating positions
In poker, the players sit in changing positions, which are defined by the position of the dealer. A major advantage is that in this way you can get information about opponents whose turn it is before you and who in turn have the disadvantage of having an information deficit, as they do not know which hands the later opponents will play.
Probabilities and profit/loss ratio
During the game, the player should at all times keep an eye on and weigh the ratio between the size of the winning pot, his own poker hand including the probabilities, and the stake in order to decide whether it is worth calling, raising, getting out or to deceive. This process should be carried out as rationally as possible so as not to be swayed by emotional decisions and to avoid unnecessary risks.
The concept of the hand range
Knowledge is power and since a poker player rarely has enough information about his opponent, it is advisable to use the concept of the hand range, ie the player considers all possible card combinations and tries in the course of the game, based on the style of play and the playing behavior of his opponent, to estimate roughly which card combination could come into question in order to align his actions accordingly effectively.
The aim of so-called bluffing or deception is to unsettle the opposing player or to induce them to play differently than he would actually do if he knew the manipulator’s playing cards. There are two ways to use deception successfully:
- The cheater has a rather weak combination of cards but acts as if he has a strong hand to get his opponents to surrender. In this case, one speaks of a so-called bluff.
- The deceiver has a strong combination of cards at hand but behaves as if he had a weak hand in order to lull his opponents into security, to be able to win, and to tempt them to make mistakes. In this case, one speaks of so-called slow play – which is the exact opposite of a bluff.
Reasons to set or increase
There are different reasons for raising the stake, here are a few examples:
- The player tries to convince opponents to give up with a stronger hand.
- The player raises in order to force his opponents to call or fold, whereby he can possibly find out more information about the strengths and weaknesses of his opponents.
- The player is sure that he is holding the best hand and would like to increase the winning pot by raising it.
- The player tries to separate the wheat from the chaff by raising it, ie to throw opponents with weaker cards out of the game.
- The player tries to gain an advantage by raising to bluff.
- The player raises in the hope of receiving the desired card in the further course of the game, because the increase may lead to the opposing players playing more cautiously and changing their style of play accordingly (checking instead of betting).
Reasons to call when you bet
As with betting and raising, there are various reasons for calling. Here are some examples:
- The player calls to see another card as easily as possible.
- The player calls to execute a bluff in the further course of the game.
- The player calls to avoid another raise.
- The player goes with to deceive his opponent by playing a weak hand.
Now you know the best online poker tips for beginners and you can put them into practice right away by using them while playing poker online.